horizontal stabilizer complete
Over the New Years holiday I managed to wrap up the horizontal stabilizer. Lots of rivets in there. But small compared to the wings I imagine. There’s about 1000 or so rivets in the skins alone. I am noticing that I am improving a great deal in my rivet shooting technique. Somewhere along the line you realize that they turn out better if you let the gun and the bucking bar do the work. I fight my urge to try and push hard on both sides.
I did the skins one side at a time. It varied the bucking task a bit so things were a little more interesting. It took about 3 hours a side to complete the skins. Longer than I expected, but then again I took my time. All in all, I think they turned out ok.
There are a few rivets for the inbound ribs that are a little tough to shoot with the 2X gun. This is one of the spots where a 3X would have done the job better. Just a lot of pressure and hit them for a long time before they finally set. After this step I went over the inboard section with a light coat of primer to cover everything up.
Here’s a reference picture so you can see the size of the horizontal. It is about 11 feet 2 inches long. It’s now time to move on to the elevators and trim tabs. After that it’s the tail cone. I want to try and get my slow build wing kit ordered in May so that I can have the brother come out and help with them this summer.