rv10.stephensville.com

Flying a Vans RV-10.

Phase One Complete - Catching Up

It has been quite a while since I’ve posted here. Been having too much fun flying I guess. Thought I should get caught up and I’ll start with Phase One completion.

Phase One was completed the end of July. Other than burning more than my fair share of fuel for about five weeks, things went as planned. Although it did get rather boring at times seeing the same scenery in my 25nm radius fly-off area.

Here’s a few items of note that required adjustment during Phase One:

  • Many of the instruments on both the EFIS and the VP-200 needed their limits adjusted. I started out with most things set pretty close, but would get nuisance alarms during takoff and landing. Things are pretty dialed in now and I have backups of all the settings.

  • Adjust prop RPM. I needed to increase the RPM on the governor to be closer to 2700 RPM for takeoff. It was around 2675 and I increased it to be around 2690-2695.

  • Adjust prop static RPM. I needed to adjust the fine pitch static RPM. During takeoff the prop would surge above 2700 RPM until the governor got caught up.

  • High CHT on #1, #2 and #4 cylinders. The high CHT on #1 and #2 were fixed by reducing the surface area of the air dam in front of the cylinders. #4 was a bit more involved. I started out by removing the injector nozzle on #4. It actually had some debris (small piece of fine wire) stuck in the nozzle. I thought this would fix the issue. It did improve it, but #4 still ran significantly hotter than the others at high power settings such as climb. I next decided to inspect the ports on the flow divider and found that the wrong fitting was installed in the out port for the #4 cylinder. It actually had a restrictor fitting instead of a normal one!! This caused #4 to be starved of the needed fuel at high fuel-flow situations. Don’t even ask about the horrible customer service from BPA trying to get the correct fitting sent to me.

  • Cowling Adjustment. The hardware attaching the mixture cable to the fuel injection servo was rubbing against the lower left side of the cowling at times of high engine shimmy such as shutdown. Had to do some fiberglass surgery to provide the needed clearance.

  • Fuel seep between fuel injection servo and filtered air box. Added gasket material to fix.

  • Excessive shake/knock at low idle and shutdown. The nuts on the motor mount attach bolts were running out of threads before being properly torqued. Added washers to allow proper torque.